With an impressive name like “Pharaoh” you know these ants have a reputation to live up to, and they do, as they are innovative and creative when it comes to finding suitable places to set up a colony.
Also known as “sugar ants” these tiny pests eat a variety of items including other insects. They are a true pest because of their ability to live in hidden and well-protected areas in the home, garage, garden shed, basement, or outdoors during warmer months in garden, patio or lawn areas.
About Pharaoh Ants
These tiny creatures come in assorted colors and are difficult to see although they may have several colonies in and around your home. Using a professional pest control company to remove them is usually the best alternative. A few facts about the Pharaoh include:
- They have a sweet tooth and are drawn to any sweet food products or liquids. Their tiny bodies make it easy for them in infiltrate the smallest of openings including boxes and containers with tasty food.
- Pharaohs prefer warm and humid areas with access to water and food such as kitchen cabinets, inside walls, baseboards, even appliances and light fixtures.
- A colony can maintain several hundred queens which leads to multiple colonies.
- Pharaoh ants are disease carriers for salmonella, streptococcus, staphylococcus, and more.
- These ants are also known to spread infection especially in private nursing facilities, clinics and hospitals and can cause contamination of sterile equipment.
If you’re experiencing an ant problem, call the professionals at Allison Pest Control. Technicians will handle the crawly creatures quickly and efficiently with no fuss or muss. In business since 1917, they know their bugs.